Coding for Young People at Digital Festival 2016
On 21 June 2016, as an official side-event of the first Digital Festival in Brussels, the Digital Leadership Institute will carry out a best practices roundtable on Coding for Young People in Europe and an Android coding workshop for young people, on behalf of the ERASMUS+ Coding for Young People project.
At this event targeting students, educators, administrators and policy-makers, expert panelists will lead a roundtable discussion on best practices in coding initiatives for youth from across Europe. The roundtable will be followed by an Android smartphone coding workshop for young people which is also open to members of the public (details below). Participation is free of charge but both a ticket to the Digital Festival as well as a booking for the current event is required.
14:50-16:00: Expert-led Best Practices Roundtable:
- Ms. Annika Ostergren Pofantis, Policy Officer, EU Code Week, European Commission
- Mr. Janne Evelid, Policy Officer, Digital Agenda of the EU including digital skills and jobs, European Commission
- Ms. Rosanna Kurrer, Cofounder & Digital Literacy Lead, Digital Leadership Institute (Belgium)
- Ms. Katrien De Schrijver, STEM Platform (Flanders, Belgium)
- Ms. Anne Collet, Driver Benelux, Le Wagon (Belgium, France, Luxembourg & the Netherlands)
- Ms. Camille Françoise, Les Voyageurs du Code (“Code Voyagers” – Belgium), an initiative of Libraries without Borders
- Ms. Cristina Larocca and Mr. Giuseppe Cardaci, Prism (Italy)
Moderator: Ms. Cheryl Miller, Cofounder, Digital Leadership Institute
15:45-17:30: Android Coding Workshop for Young People:
Following the best practices roundtable, Ms. Rosanna Kurrer, Digital Leadership Institute Cofounder, and Friedger Müffke of OpenIntents.org, will lead a hands-on Android Coding workshop with MIT App Inventor, targeting young people ages 11 and up. Participation in the workshop is free but places are limited so reservation is required. In addition, attendees should bring their own laptop or contact the organizers if they need to reserve one (limited supply).
Coding for Young People Project Partners